Journalism and the Mozilla Festival 2018
OpenNews is heading back to the Mozilla Festival, a multi-day, annual celebration of the open internet for technologists, makers, educators, and creators in all fields. This year, we’re organizing full day of journalism-tech sessions at the MozFest House on October 25.
OpenNews Unconference on Journalism Tech
All day on Thursday, October 25 we’ll have hands-on, collaborative sessions from local London journalists and visitors coming to town for the festival. The event takes place at the Royal Society of Arts in central London.
Participants can register now and tickets will cost £10 each. Many of the sessions will be scheduled that morning, and we’re working to confirm a bunch of sessions in advance, too. You can expect sessions from:
- Simon Jockers about using public statistics and open data in journalism and his experience with Datenguide
- Federica Cherubini and Kevin Dubouis of Conde Nast International with “If you build it, they will come: A workshop in how to create an audience-first strategy”
- us! (the OpenNews team) facilitating a session about…facilitation and how we build our SRCCON events
- Stefan Wehrmeyer with a session on FOIA technology
- Remi Oduyemi, an engineer at BBC News Labs, will be facilitating a session exploring possible applications of AR technologies for news
- other journalists from the BBC News Labs and Full Fact, which will be returning to present at the unconference for the second year in a row
- maybe also you? If you’re interested in bringing a session, let us know or you can of course pitch that day as well
Throughout the day, we’ll have the chance to discuss stories, strategies, and tools in sessions and over a group lunch.
Our rough schedule will be:
- 9:30-10am - registration, unconference brainstorming
- 10-10:15am - schedule creation and introduction to unconferencing!
- 10:15-10:30am - transition to first session
- 10:30-11:30am - first session
- 11:30am-noon - break, with tea and coffee and conversation
- noon-1pm - second session
- 1pm-2:30pm - lunch on your own, explore the Strand!
- 2:30-3:30pm - third session
- 3:30-4pm - break, with snack and conversation
- 4-5pm - final session
- 5-5:30pm - wrap the day with thank yous and next steps
We expect it to be a busy, fun, and productive day filled with sharing about our work and building stronger connections with colleagues. Please register now and help us to spread the word.
Journalism During MozFest
The Mozilla Festival this year features five topical spaces around facets of the health of the internet. In particular, the openness space will include journalism-related sessions and one of the organizers of that group is Hacks/Hackers Buenos Aires organizer Mariano Blejman.
The latest from the OpenNews team
Read all our news in our OpenNews blog