As a nonprofit, OpenNews receives funding from donors, foundations, and sponsors in order to support our entire slate of events and programs.
Support our work
Our work exists to support the community that is pushing to create more diverse, responsive, trustworthy journalism. To continue to do this work, we rely on the support of community members. It’s important for the longterm future of OpenNews that we create ways for community members to contribute to the sustainability of our work. Consider joining us as a donor.
How do I donate?
Is OpenNews a nonprofit?
Yes, OpenNews operates as a project of Community Partners, our fiscal sponsor. Community Partners is a nonprofit public charity exempt from federal income tax under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes, your donation is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law, as long as no goods or services were exchanged. You will receive an email receipt of your donation for your records. Gifts $250 and over will also receive an acknowledgement in the mail.
What is OpenNews' Employer Identification Number?
The EIN or Federal Tax ID number for Community Partners (our fiscal sponsor) is 95-4302067.
Can you accept recurring donations?
At this time, we are not accepting recurring donations. We’re researching options and expect to launch a recurring donation sustainer program in the near future.
What will my donation help support?
Your donation will support our work strengthening the network of peers working to make journalism better. It will support our events for newsroom coders and journalists and a wide range of community and project support programs.
Is there anything else I can do to help?
Why yes, thank you for asking!
- You can spread the word and ask your colleagues to support this network by making a donation to OpenNews. Like all of our work, word of mouth drives so much of how people find out about what we do. Any help getting the word out helps this work continue.
- Does your employer have a matching gifts program? Many employers will match their employee’s donations to nonprofit organizations, which can double (and sometimes even triple) the size of your gift! Here’s a list from Mother Jones of some organizations known to have these programs. If you need any information to complete paperwork for a match with your company, just let us know.
- Share your story about how this network has helped you and your career! Some folks have tweeted about their experiences with OpenNews or blogged about attending SRCCON. You can also reach out to us directly and let us know about your exprience. We love hearing what resonates with you, and it helps us tell other organizations and potential donors about the importance of this network.
Sponsors of SRCCON
OpenNews' annual conference SRCCON brings together developers, designers, and data analysts in newsrooms—and many others in allied roles and fields—for two days of peer-to-peer sessions built around conversation and collaboration. SRCCON, now in its fourth year, has benefitted from the generosity of sponsors to help underwrite the cost of things like travel scholarships, transcription, and even super tasty coffee.
- 2014 SRCCON Sponsors: Mandrill, WordPress, FiveThirtyEight, Mapzen, Vox Media, Rackspace, Sourcefabric, Sittercity.com
- 2015 SRCCON Sponsors: Mandrill, WordPress.com VIP, Slack, NPR, Twitter, Fusion, StarTribune, University of Minnesota Journalism Center, John S. Knight Fellowships, Alley Interactive, Thomson Foundation, University of Minnesota School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- 2016 SRCCON Sponsors: Conde Nast, Mail Chimp, WordPress, New York Times, John S. Knight Fellowships, Dow Jones News Fund, Vox Media, Civil Co, Alley Interactive
- 2017 SRCCON Sponsors: Condé Nast, WordPress.com VIP, The New York Times, Facebook, The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships, Google News Lab, Alley Interactive, Mapbox, Vox Media, StarTribe, MPR News, BuzzFeed News
- SRCCON:WORK Sponsors: Google News Lab, The News Integrity Initiative at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, Democracy Fund, The New York Times, Mozilla, Microsoft, Azavea, Group Nine
- 2018 SRCCON Sponsors: WordPress.com VIP, Facebook, The New York Times, Google News Initiative, Vox Media, The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships, Alley Interactive
The latest from the OpenNews team
Read all our news in our OpenNews blog